Sunday, March 29, 2009

Les Cheveux

Okay, so enough of the serene buddha photos and elaborate Chinese garden shots...let's talk about something that impacts us all deeply....HAIR! Its styling is something akin to a national pastime here, and I'd hate to guess the ratio of hair stylists to other professions because I'm sure they'd have 'em beat. Generally speaking, in my observation the folks here are out to make a statement. Sometimes, I'm not sure exactly what it might be, but it's bold and brave. As with many other trends set abroad that make their way to those of us that live North of the 49th, China's got a new one coming (or rather old one making a resurgence).....the PERM. Yup, love it or hate it, it's all the rage here with the women (and even some men). There's tight and short, wavy and long, just plain kinky, and everything in between.





Seems that nothing's too extreme here, and it's kind of contagious. You see, my friend Nat decided that it was her turn to give it a go (and I went along for a 'trim'). Not only is the final result of a perm something to celebrate, the mechanism by which the curl is birthed is truly outrageous. It's a contraption like none other I've seen, a distant cousin to the octopus one might say. Once the rollers have been rolled, each one is plugged in with corkscrew cords into a dome shaped heater that sits above the lucky lady's (or man's) head. Twenty minutes later, and it's all been said and done. Here, take a look.



Of course, as Nat was being attacked by the sea creature I was convinced to do more than just have some 'bangs' cut. Even with a friend there to translate, before I knew it I had my very own 'chinese haircut'.


Hope you're having as much fun as we are....
Man zou,
Lesley

No comments: